Saturday, May 23, 2020

Transient Suburbia, Chapters 8-10

Enjoy chapters 8-10 of my novel! More here on what this is all about. 


Chapter Eight

1991-1992, Seventh Grade

Harper noticed her parents were spending lots of time whispering to one another in the office or the kitchen. Whenever Harper came into the room, they would act like nothing was going on and ask her about her day. Something was up, but Harper didn’t know what. Her siblings decided enough was enough and called a siblings meeting to see if they could to figure out what was going on. She was on her way to Flannery’s room; their parents were out with friends for the evening. It was the perfect time for the siblings to plan their attack.

She could hear Flannery on the phone through the door. Harper stood outside, listening to her big sister.

“Sherry needs to rethink those bangs. She must go through a bottle of hairspray everyday.” Flannery laughed at something her friend said but Harper couldn’t hear.

Harper rolled her eyes. If her sister wasn’t talking about cheerleading or boys, she was talking about makeup and hair. Secretly, Harper envied the easy way Flannery had about her. She could talk to anyone, took dance lessons, and drew and sketched beautifully. She was always trying to get Harper to try lipstick and dress a little less punk rock (for a seventh grader) and a little more preteen. So far, Harper refused her sister’s “help” and stuck with her all black to almost all black ensembles.

The conversation seemed to be winding down. Harper knocked on the door. “Come in!” Flannery called. Harper came into the room and sat on the floor to wait for her brother.

“Cammie, I have to go. I have to help my sister with something. Later.” Flannery laughed again and hung up.

“You can sit on the bed, Harper.”

“I like sitting on the floor. There’s not really any room on the bed.”

Flannery wasn’t neat like Harper. Her room, particularly her bed, was full of clothes and magazines. The floor, however, was oddly clear. Flannery preferred heaps of stuff on her bed and the chair by the closet.

“Are you saying I’m messy?” Flannery threw a stuffed whale at Harper.

“I would never say that.” Harper threw the whale back. Since Harper turned twelve, it seemed that Flannery was more interested in spending time with her and trying to make Harper over in her image. The twins were going to be juniors this year and were starting to look at colleges even though it was still a year away. Harper wasn’t sure what she was going to do without her siblings when they went away to college.

“Where is Walker? This was his idea. You’d think he’d be on time.” Flannery got up, grabbing a bottle of fuchsia nail polish from her vanity. “You don’t mind if I do my nails while we talk? I know you don’t like the smell.”

“It’s your room.” Harper was trying to figure out nail polish despite her previous protests over the smell.

Before Flannery could respond, Walker came into the room. The twins looked like their mother, tall and lean with reddish brown hair. Flannery’s was long and full; the envy of her friends. Walker always looked a little messy despite his best efforts. Harper was more like her dad; on the shorter side (she was the shortest in the family), brown hair and blue eyes. Her hair was currently in a short bob, recovering from a horrifying perm. She sort of looked like the twins but more like a cousin than their sibling. Now that she was older they liked to joke that she was adopted. Her parents told her to ignore them.

Walker jumped on the bed ignoring the piles. “So what’s up? What do you think is going on?”

“Watch it! I’m painting my nails. You aren’t wasting any time. I guess that makes up for being late.” Flannery winked at Harper.

“Sorry, sorry. I was trying to finish one of my summer reading assignments. I’m behind on all of them. If only I read as fast as you, Harp.” Walker smiled at his little sister. She smiled back.

“Well, let’s figure this all out. What do we know?” Flannery motioned towards a notebook and pen on the chair. “It’ll be better if we write it down. Harper, you can write so I can finish my nails.”

Harper grabbed the notebook and offered a clue, “Mom and Dad whisper a lot. And they stop whenever I come into the room. Dad’s also been working weird hours lately.”

Flannery continued, “I heard Mom on the phone talking to someone about a house but she never said where. Do you think they’re getting a divorce?”

“That makes no sense,” Walker said. “They seem to like one another not just love one another unlike most of my friends’ parents. They never fight so I don’t think it’s a divorce.”

“But it’s possible. Anything is possible. Write that down.” Flannery added. The twins went back and forth on possible reasons for the end of their parents’ marriage.

Harper listened and glanced between her siblings. She thought they were overreacting. While she thought her parents’ behavior was weird, she didn’t think it was that bad. “I think we’re moving again and they don’t want to tell us yet."

“It can’t be that simple,” Flannery replied.

“Last time we moved they told us right away. You were too young to remember but Dad called it “a great adventure” and we made a game out of the car ride. It was actually fun.” Walker started playing catch with a stuffed animal.

Harper would not be deterred, “I think we’re moving. Flannery overheard Mom talking about houses. They’ve been going out with their friends more lately. They aren’t fighting or anything. It’s moving.” She was hoping it was moving; Harper didn’t like to think about the other options.

Walker stopped pacing, “Should we just ask them? I mean, they’d probably tell us if we asked.”

“It can’t hurt. You do it.” Flannery looked at Harper.

“Why me? You two are the oldest; it’s your job. You’re always in charge of everything. Why do I have to ask?” Harper hated when her siblings did this to her. Last time it was about getting a pool. They made her ask because Flannery thought her being the youngest would make a difference. It did not.

“Because you’re adorable. You know Dad can’t resist it when you look sad about anything. Give the puppy eyes and we’ll know immediately.” Flannery smiled and sat back on her bed. Walker gave Harper a hopeful smile. He always agreed with Flannery.

“Fine. I will do it but you both owe me. And I can cash in whenever I want.” Harper stomped out of her sister’s room and down the hall to her own. She closed the door to her room and flopped on her bed. Everything in her room was in order; clothes put away neatly, books arranged alphabetically on the shelves, records and cassettes stored neatly in their cases. Harper was a lot more like her father, Daniel, when it came to organization and neatness. His office was always in order and he was a whiz at packing the car for road trips. They both found it easier to accomplish something when they knew where everything was.

How was she going to approach her parents? She wouldn’t be able to try until tomorrow since she was supposed to be in bed before they got home. Should she try to get them alone and ask them separately? No, that wouldn’t work. They’d have to be together. Her parents were always up early, even on the weekends. That’s what she would do. Harper would get up early tomorrow and catch her parents together. It was a good plan.


Chapter Nine

Dear Ben, 6/11/91

Guess what I found out? You can’t guess, can you?

WE’RE MOVING!!!!!!

My parents have been acting a little weird lately, you know for parents so we had a siblings meeting to figure it all out. Flannery and Walker thought maybe it was divorce but I said that we were moving. It was decided we would just ask our parents and by “we” I mean they decided I would ask our parents. Flannery said it’s because I’m “adorable” and our parents would tell me. So I got up early the next morning and asked them. At first they wouldn’t tell me but I flashed my sad puppy dog eyes and my dad broke down and told me I was right.

We’re moving to Virginia. Flannery and Walker have to move their junior year which isn’t as bad as moving senior year but Flannery is still not happy. She was going to be a trail maid this year. Mom was trying to figure out if Flannery could still do it if we moved but she can’t. That was part of the reason they waited to tell us. There was also the possibility that we wouldn’t move until the middle of the year but that’s not happening now. We leave July 1st.

I’m excited. I like my friends but I don’t love Dothan and don’t want to live here forever. Maybe Virginia will be more fun and I'll meet new people. Walker is trying to look on the bright side; Flannery isn’t speaking to anyone except Walker. She was also going to be co-captain of the cheerleading squad this year so this sucks for her. Mom said she would call our new school and see if she could get Flannery on the squad somehow. That’s a new thing too...we’re all going to be at the same school. The middle school is on one end and the high school is on the other. WEIRD!

I don’t have my new address yet but I’ll send it to you as soon as I get it. I’ll try to write a few more times before we leave but I can’t promise I’ll write as often as we normally do. It’s going to be busy and we’re going to Detroit before Virginia. Long road trip. We’re going to be in the car forever.

How are you? Did you master any of those Led Zeppelin songs yet? My brother made me a tape of their songs. I like the song about Vikings and “Kashmir”. I’ll send you a tape of stuff I’m listening to before I move.

Finally reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I’m named after the author. It’s on my new school’s summer reading list. It’s really good; Scout is my new favorite character.

Later gator,
Harper


Harper, June 18, 1991

Moving!?! That sounds cool. Do you have to pack all your stuff? Did you ask about getting a tree house? I know we’re older but I still think a tree house is a good option. What about Barney? Does he get to go? Does he like the car?

I finally learned most of “Stairway to Heaven” or something that sounds sort of like “Stairway to Heaven.” I can also play a few Metallica and Clash songs. I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered any of them BUT if you’d like to call me “guitar master” you can.

What do you know about your new school? Weird that you’ll be at the same school as the twins. Danny and I are always at different schools but I’ll go to the same high school as him. We’ll only be at the same school one year. Do you think Flannery will pretend you’re not her sister? Your brother seems pretty cool so I bet he won’t do that.

Enclosing a tape. The first side is all stuff we (Danny and me) are listening to now. There’s some Guns N Roses, Nirvana, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. The other side is me trying to play their songs. I’m getting...better.

Talk to you soon. Don’t worry if you can’t write until you get to Virginia. I’ll still be rocking in Milwaukee.

Ben


BEN!!!! 7/4/91

Happy 4th of July! We’re getting ready to go see the fireworks on the Detroit River. Well actually we’re going to Windsor, Canada to watch them. The two cities swap hosting duties. This year it’s in Canada. Who knew?

The last few weeks in Dothan went by fast. My friends threw me a going away/birthday party. It was fun but also a little sad. They all said they’d write but who knows if they will. I’ll try to keep in touch with them. Thanks for the card and the owl necklace. I have it on now.

Your music was so good! I liked the song that was short and really loud - maybe it was a Nirvana song? I don’t know their stuff very well so that’s why I don’t know which one it was. You should start a band.

Barney loves the car. He likes to stick his head out the window which makes Flannery mad. She says the wind messes up her hair and Barney slobbers. I always say “that’s what dogs do” which she hates. He loves my grandparents’ yard. It’s much bigger than the one at our old house. He loves to run. He’s a Beagle. Beagles can be hyper.

Gotta run - Mom is calling.
Don’t set anything on fire!
Harper


Chapter Ten

“Dad, do you know where all my records are? The box isn’t here.” Harper shouted downstairs to her dad.

“I think the boxes got mixed in with ours. Come take a look,” her dad shouted back.

“Will you please stop shouting? I’m on the phone!!” Flannery shouted without the slightest hint of irony. It was the most she had said to anyone all day.

Harper sighed in her sister’s general direction. Flannery was still angry with their parents about the move. She stayed in her room as much as their mother would allow and talked with her best friend back in Dothan once a day. Her parents were putting up with the hostility and long-distance phone bill for now. Harper had the feeling that her parents, her mother in particular, would snap any day now. Mrs. Monroe was tired of the attitude. Walker was trying to work his twin magic but it had failed so far.

As she made her way downstairs to the den, Harper took in all the newness of the house. It was bigger and nicer than their house in Dothan; two stories and a basement! Harper thought she had the best room of everyone; it had a window seat. She could curl up with a book or write to Ben while looking out on the neighborhood. She even moved some of pillow mountain, as her mother called her abundance of pillows, to the seat. It was cozy. Her wasn’t room wasn’t quite “finished” and not organized exactly as she wanted. The moving truck arrived a few days later than it was supposed to so they were only now sorting things out. Most of Harper’s boxes had found their way to her room. Her books and toys and clothes were accounted for and her furniture fit nicely in the new space. But she couldn’t find her records. She really wanted them. It would be home if she had her records.

Harper found her dad in the den, immersed in the boxes. He was trying to move boxes to the general area where they belonged before unpacking, as was his system. The house had both a den upstairs and a finished basement. It seemed like a lot to Harper. It was decided, by her parents of course, that the television would go in the basement and the books and stereo system in the den. Her parents liked listening to music while they cooked and ate dinner.

“Hey there, peanut. How’s your room coming along?” Mr. Monroe moved another book box to the corner by the enormous bookcase.

“Almost done. I just need my records and to hang up posters. Walker said he’d help me with that since I can’t reach for some of them.” Harper glanced around at the mountain of book boxes. Why did they have so many books?

“I think those two boxes are your records. They’re labeled “Girl Music.” My guess is that’s you. Be careful with them though; record boxes are heavy.” Her dad pointed out two boxes stacked in a corner away from the other piles.

Harper opened the first “Girl Music” box and sighed with joy; she had found her records. This box was filled with all of her musicals and soundtracks. She carefully shimmied it to the floor to get at the second box. Another success!! Here were her friends: Big Star, the Beach Boys, her first David Bowie record, Debbie Gibson, ABBA. Her non-soundtrack record collection was eclectic (her aunt taught her that word a few weeks ago) and she thought of them as her best friends. Finally the new room was going to be “her room.”

“Did you find them?” Her dad asked from around the boxes.

“Yes! They’re all here!” Harper knew things didn’t always make it to their new locations during moves. So far, they weren’t missing anything but they hadn’t gotten through all the boxes yet and hadn’t even touched the boxes in the basement.

“Good. When Walker and your mom get back, he can help you move them upstairs. I think they’re too heavy for you to move by yourself.”

“Ok. Who knew music could be so heavy?” Harper smiled at her dad.

“That’s true on many levels, Harp.” Her dad laughed. “Do you want to help me with books for a while? I could use some help especially since your sister is still avoiding us. Your mom and brother are bringing dinner home but not for another hour. It’d be nice to have one box free room on this floor.”

“Sure,” Harper agreed. “I like organizing books.”

The two worked on the den until Mrs. Monroe and Walker came home. Harper and her dad had made a good dent in the boxes. Her mom threw the lasagna in the oven to heat up and joined the pair in unpacking. Walker even convinced Flannery to come down and help. By the time the lasagna was ready, the family had finished the entire room. One box free room. Mr. Monroe put on an Elvis record and they sat down to dinner. It was starting to feel more like home for them all.

After dinner, Walker helped Harper move her records upstairs. She unpacked them one at a time, checking to make sure there was no damage. She grouped her musicals and soundtracks on one shelf in alphabetical order. At the end of the shelf were her tapes, including some Ben had sent her. She turned to the second box where her real favorites were waiting. Her stereo was already set up, waiting for a record.

Harper picked her favorite record, Big Star’s #1 Record. It was also a favorite of her dad’s; he bought her a copy for her birthday last year. As the opening chords of “Feel” started, Harper settled into her window seats and pillow mountain to write Ben a letter, the first of many from Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment