Saturday, May 9, 2020

Transient Suburbia: Chapters 3-5

Enjoy chapters 3-5 of my novel! More here on what this is all about. 


Chapter Three

Time always seemed to go faster for Harper when she had a deadline and a seemingly undoable task to complete. Harper attempted to write her first letter to her pen pal several times during the week. She completed her other homework first and then tried to write. Her parents wouldn’t let them watch television while doing homework but they were allowed to listen to music. Harper had a record player and small stereo in her bedroom. She tried writing while listening to her favorite album, #1 Record by Big Star. It was also one of her dad’s favorites too, and she listened to it all the time. Music was her second favorite thing and she liked her parents’ old records more than the music her friends and siblings listened to. Her friends thought it was weird; she just liked what she liked.
She threw away each of her attempts at a first letter. She wasn’t sure how to start or what to say to this boy she didn’t know. His sheet wasn’t particularly helpful; the only tv shows they had in common were ALF, Pee-Wee’s Playhouse, and Webster. He liked Transformers, He-Man, and Ewoks; she liked Rainbow Brite and Jem. She didn’t know any of the bands he liked; she knew Metallica because her older brother listened to them. She was a little scared of those songs; they were loud and aggressive so music was out too. Mrs. Henderson told them to start simply and that seemed to be the problem. Harper didn’t know how to start simply. Or at all.
Her family had been no help. They thought it was funny that she had been assigned a boy as her pen pal. Her sister, Flannery, called Ben Harper’s boyfriend and made kissing noises anytime she saw Harper trying to write to the letter. Flannery was so obnoxious (another word she had recently learned) and mean. Her parents both tried to help but Harper knew they thought it was funny so she ignored their advice. Walker, her brother, offered to help her if Ben liked sports but she didn’t know if he did or not. At least Walker was trying. Her friends weren’t as into the whole pen pal thing to begin with; they wrote their letters in no time and didn’t stress over it like Harper. She was the only one in her class to be matched with an opposite gendered pen pal. No one else thought it was a problem.
Harper knew she was making this more difficult than it needed to be. She knew she was a good writer (for a nine year old) and she was a pretty interesting person. She lived in several states, had twins for siblings, and read a ton of books. There had to be things to say that didn’t seem like she was trying too hard or was still mad about the whole boy pen pal thing. She put on the Big Star record again (her dad let her keep some of her favorites in her room) and got out a new sheet of paper. She had been writing her drafts on regular notebook paper in pencil but decided to use the stationery from her kit this time. Maybe that had been the problem all along; she was using the wrong supplies. She picked up her black Bic pen and began again.

Dear Benjamin, September 22, 1988
My name is Harper and I’m your pen pal. I’m 9 years old and live in Dothan, Alabama. I go to Carver Elementary School. I like to read and write and listen to old records. My favorite record is by Big Star, a band my dad really likes. What kind of music do you like?
I don’t play any sports but my big brother plays baseball. I guess he’s good. I like to cheer for him at games. My sister is on the dance team and is a trail maid. Do y’all have trail maids where you live? They are twins, my brother and sister.
What is your school like? Do you have any brothers or sisters?
I don’t have anything else to say for now. Hope that you are ok and that you will write me back.
Your new friend,
Harper

Harper looked over her work. She was sure that she had spelled some words wrong but overall, this was her best attempt at a first letter. It was short and friendly enough. She asked some good questions and shared a little bit about herself. That’s what Mrs. Henderson said to do. She folded the letter and placed it in the envelope. She didn’t seal it since she had to share the letter the next day in class. Mrs. Henderson would probably be able to help her if it was terrible.
She tucked the letter into her new Lisa Frank homework folder and picked up her book. She was almost done with James and the Giant Peach. She had Beezus and Ramona to start next. Her sister had just given her a collection of The Baby-Sitters Club since Flannery was “too old” for the books now. Harper forgot about her letter as she lost herself in the adventures of James and his insect friends.


Chapter Four
On Fridays Flannery and Walker both picked up Harper at school. The three of them went to the Dairy Queen at the edge of their neighborhood for a sundae before heading home. Harper usually looked forward to this outing with her siblings; they paid attention to her and treated her less like a pet than normal. She was very aware of not being a part of the twins’ world. Flannery had a mean girl personality, but she had her nice moments too. The trio all got along more than any of her friends did with their brothers and sisters. Her mother was always so proud of how close her children were with one another.
Flannery and Walker were already outside waiting when Harper finally emerged from the building. She stayed back again to talk with Mrs. Henderson about her letter. Mrs. Henderson assured her that the letter was fine and that she was overthinking the whole pen pal project. She told Harper to have fun with it and be herself. Harper was such a serious little girl and Mrs. Henderson wanted her less serious.
Her rainbow book bag weighed heavily on her shoulders as she walked towards her siblings. Walker noticed immediately. “What’s wrong, Harp? Did someone say something about your glasses again?” Harper had recently gotten glasses and was not adjusting to her new look.
“No. Nobody notices anymore. I’m just mad about my pen pal still.” Harper and her siblings started walking to the Dairy Queen.
Flannery sighed, “You have got to let that go. So you got a boy for a pen pal. It’s not the worst thing that could happen. Maybe he’ll be really nice and cute. And you’ll get your first boyfriend.”
“Boyfriends are stupid.” Harper didn’t want a boyfriend, just a friend.
Walker stopped and knelt down to talk to Harper, “You are the most serious nine year old on the planet. You must chill. You’re smart and funny, so just be yourself. It’s supposed to be fun. Have fun.” Walker understood his younger sister much more than Flannery. She was not going to be the popular girl at school; she was going to be most likely to succeed and a famous writer. However, he needed his little sister to lighten up. She was going to get an ulcer.
“Whatever you say. Can I get extra sprinkles today?” Harper wanted an end to this conversation.
Walker laughed; there was fun Harper. “Of course. Today is an extra sprinkles kind of day. We’ll all get extra sprinkles.”
Harper loved her brother best. She would never admit it to anyone but it was true. He always wanted extra sprinkles.

The house smelled like cabbage when they walked in. Harper wrinkled her nose in disgust and Flannery made a face. Her mom made cabbage at least once a week but it was never on a consistent day so it always caught the Monroe children off guard. They couldn’t get away from it. Harper suspected this was her mother’s goal all along. She made them each eat a helping or they couldn’t be excused. It was the worst.
“Harper, honey, you got some mail today. I put it on your desk. Walker, can you take Barney for a walk? Flannery, please set the table before you jump on the phone.” Her mother rattled off things before actually greeting them. It was her way; she worked as an office manager for a local insurance company and tended to list things all the time. Harper walked into the kitchen, bookbag still on. Her mother gave her a quick hug hello before returning to chopping vegetables.
“Who is it from?” Harper took a carrot from the pile.
“Who is what from?” Her mother, Kathleen, smiled at her but didn’t know what Harper was talking about.
“You said I got mail. Who is it from?”
“I don’t know, honey. I didn’t look. Why don’t you go check? Then you can come help me with dinner.”
“Ok.” Harper made her way to her room. Her bedroom was bigger in this house. She had a Rainbow Brite comforter that her sister said was babyish, but Harper loved, and a bunch of pillows. Harper had an unnecessarily large number of pillows on her bed. They made her feel like a queen. She also had a bookcase that was packed full of books and records and a small desk where she did her homework. Stuffed animals lived in one corner and she had a Lego collection that may or may not be out of control. She and her brother built things together; he was going to be an architect and thought Lego building was good practice.
The envelope was sitting on the edge of her desk. It wasn’t her birthday or any holiday so she knew it wasn’t from any of her grandparents or aunts. None of her friends sent her mail; Sophie’s birthday party invitations were handed out at school. Could it be from her pen pal? It seemed too soon to be from her pen pal but who else could it be?
She approached her desk carefully. The envelope was white with geometric shapes on it just like ones she had received in her kit. It was definitely from her pen pal. Harper sat at her desk and picked up the envelope. Her pen pal had very neat cursive handwriting for a boy. It was even and the loops in the letters were just the right size. There was a slight flourish with the “M” in her last name. He also connected some of the shapes on the envelope. It wasn’t that there was a new picture; it just looked like he was doodling.
This was it; her first pen pal letter. She was excited and worried all at the same time. She didn’t think she’d get a letter before mailing hers but here it was. Now her letter would seem weird but she couldn’t take it back. She opened the envelope carefully. She didn’t want to rip the letter. The same neat cursive writing stared back at her.

Dear Harper, Sept, 15. 1988
My name is Benjamin Riggs but everyone calls me Ben. My big brother calls me Benny but only cause he likes that song “Benny and the Jets.” You can call me Ben or Benny I guess. I live in Milwaukee in a big house that my grandpa built. We have a tree house in the backyard that my dad built; I keep comic books and my Transformers there.
I don’t play sports because I’m clumsy. I broke my arm during tee ball. My mom says sports aren’t for everyone. I play guitar and piano instead. I like music and Transformers and comic books. What do girls like to do? Do you like play Barbie or something?
I’m reading “James and the Giant Peach” right now. Have you heard of that book? It’s good but there are some scary parts. Do you like to read?
I hope you’ll write to me soon. I don’t mind that you’re a girl. I think it’s kind of cool to have a girl pen pal.
Sincerely,
Ben Riggs

Harper wasn’t sure what to think of her new pen pal. He sounded nice and had such wonderful handwriting. She traced the loops with her finger. Her handwriting wasn’t that nice and she practiced all the time. But there was the Barbie thing. She hated Barbies. Of course, he wouldn’t know that. Harper exhaled and inhaled and exhaled again. This might not be so bad. He was reading the same book as her and admitted that some of it scared him; it scared her too. Now she had a hook, something they could talk about.

This whole pen pal thing was going to work. Harper wasn’t nervous about it anymore. She could have a boy pen pal. She and Ben were going to get along. She really wanted to know about that treehouse.

She knew she was supposed to be helping her mother with dinner but she wanted to get started on her next letter. She had some ideas and she wanted to get them down before she forgot them.

Harper took pen to paper and started her next letter. She was so engrossed in her writing, asking questions, describing her house, and her siblings she forgot about going to help her mother. This one was easier to write and she felt free to be who she was. She lost track of time and didn’t stop writing until her mother called her for dinner. She signed her name and quickly folded the letter and placed it in a new envelope. She’d address it later.

Something told Harper that she had found a new best friend.


Chapter Five
1988-1989, Fourth Grade
Dear Ben, September 30, 1988
I got your first letter after I sent my first letter so I couldn’t answer your questions. Hopefully, you’ve gotten my letter by now. How are you? How’s school? What kinds of music do you play?
I don’t play sports either but it’s because I don’t like them. My older brother plays baseball. I think I already told you that. I go to games and cheer for him with my parents. My sister goes with us but she always sits with her friends. I don’t play with Barbies but I do have Jem and the Holograms dolls. I mostly build stuff with Legos and read. My friends and I like to roller skate.
Are you done with  “James and the Giant Peach”? I read the end last night. My mother never should have bought me a reading light. I always stay up past bedtime reading. Miss Spider is my favorite character. I like the part where James rescues Centipede from the ocean - it was scary but exciting. I’m starting on “The Witches” next and some Judy Blume books. What else do you like to read?
What’s your treehouse like? Do you get to sleep in it ever? We can’t have a treehouse because we move a lot.
Your friend,
Harper

Dear Harper, October 9, 1988
Wow we both just finished “James and the Giant Peach”! That's awesome. I like the part with the sharks and when the aunts get in trouble at the end. Grasshopper is my favorite. I haven’t read “The Witches” but maybe I will soon. I mostly read comic books and stuff my older brother shares with me. He just gave me some books based on the “Star Wars” movies; they’re pretty cool.
My dad makes me play classical old music. It’s ok I guess. I want to learn rock songs on my guitar. I’ve been trying to listen and play along but it’s not that easy. My mom says I can take some guitar lessons for fun this year if I keep up my classical piano lessons. I told her I would but so far no guitar lessons. Maybe for my birthday in December. When is your birthday?
You like Legos? I have a bunch of them. My brother and I like to build tanks and planes. He got a castle set for his birthday and we’ve been working on it for a few weeks now. We keep it in the treehouse. What do you build? Sorry about the Barbies; a lot of girls I know have them.
Why do you move so much? We’ve always lived here in the same house. Maybe you could get a treehouse that could some way be moved. I don’t know how that would work but I’m sure they make them. My treehouse kinda looks like my house. My dad had one of those treehouses from the back of a magazine when he was a kid. When we moved into our house, he built us a treehouse that was bigger and better than the one he had. Or at least that’s what he always tells us. It’s pretty big. My friends and me get to sleep in it in the summer. My mom always worries that I’ll fall out of it when I’m sleeping and break my arm again.
Later,
Ben

“Hangin’ Tough” blared from the speakers at Roller Skating Paradise. The album was released right after the school year started. Sophie, Harper’s best friend, listened to it on repeat ever since, much to Harper’s dismay. Even her birthday party was New Kids On The Block themed, right down to the pictures of Jordan, Joey, Jonathan, Danny, and Donnie on the cake. Harper didn’t particularly like the New Kids, but it wasn’t her birthday party. She didn’t want to be a bad friend and say anything mean about it.
Sophie’s party was the first birthday party of the school year and it was the first girl/boy party anyone in their class had ever thrown. All of their class was invited and just about everyone came. Harper skated around the rink expertly, spying her mom and Sophie’s mom manning the snack table. A group of boys were clustered around the table, throwing popcorn at one another. Mrs. Monroe shooed them back out to the skating rink. Harper caught up with Sophie, Kelly, and Tiffany, her closest friends. They were dressed in various shades of pink, purple, and teal. Harper thought they looked like a Lisa Frank folder come to life. The girls were whispering and giggling about something.
“Why are we whispering?” Harper asked as she joined the group.
“We’re deciding who’s going to couple skate with who,” Sophie replied. “It’s coming up in two songs.”
“How do you know when it’s going to be?” Harper hated couple skates.
“Sophie asked the DJ.” Kelly said matter of factly.
“Aren’t they guys just supposed to ask? Or are you in charge of it somehow?” Harper hoped her friends left her out of it.
“Well since it’s my birthday, I should get to skate with who I want to. I pick Jay.” Sophie had had a huge crush on Jay ever since they were assigned as science partners at the beginning of the school year.
“Claire’s going to skate with Mark and Tiffany with Tommy.” Sophie turned to skate backward to face her friends. She was the best at backward skating of the group.
“That just leaves you, Harper,” Claire laughed a little as she said this. She knew Harper hated the idea of couple skates.
“I think I’ll help our moms get the cake ready. It’s almost time for us to have cake and to open presents.” Harper tried to deflect the conversation away from her participation.
“No you aren’t. All of us have to couple skate. That’s the rule.” Sophie was in bossy birthday girl mode. Harper knew she would lose the argument so she opted to play along and ask for a good skating partner.
“Fine. Just pick someone who’s not a dork for me.” Harper sighed.
“Peter!” The three girls said at the same time.
Harper blushed. It was dark in the rink so she didn’t think anyone noticed. Her friends knew she liked Peter, so of course they would arrange it so that she would skate with him. He was the smartest boy in class, although Harper had the highest GPA, and was cute in a preppy sort of way. He was wearing a pink Polo shirt and Bugle Boy jeans, the uniform of choice for the boys in her class. His brown hair was brushed to the side so he looked kind of like DJ’s boyfriend on Full House. He sat next to Harper in class and always borrowed pencils from her. Mrs. Henderson never paired them up, much to Harper’s disappointment.
“Great,” she replied. The group skated through the next song, ending over by where the boys were skating. The DJ changed records from another New Kids song to a song Harper had never heard before. She knew it was an old song but couldn’t place it.
“Alright all you lovebirds out there, it’s time for a couple skate. If you’re not a couple, please move out of the rink until the end of the song,” the DJ’s voice boomed over the song’s opening chords.
Harper’s friends started to pair off as Lou Reed’s “Satellite of Love” played. Even though Harper didn’t know the song she immediately loved it. She was trying to figure out some of the lyrics so she could ask her dad about it later; he was good at helping her figure out songs from a few lyrics. She barely noticed when Peter skated up to her.
“Do you want to skate with me?” he asked.
“Sure.” Harper took his hand and they skated into the rink together.
It was hard skating with someone else. Harper had to concentrate on keeping her speed consistent with Peter’s and holding his hand. Peter was taller than Harper by a few inches so his stride was a little longer than hers. He was constantly slowing down and speeding up so they could get in sync. He smiled at her a few times but didn’t say much. That was okay with Harper; it allowed her to listen to the song more closely and skate in time to it. Peter’s hand was a little sweaty; Harper wondered if he was nervous. Maybe that was why he didn’t say anything. Harper saw her mom as they passed by where she was standing. Mrs. Monroe was taking pictures of her and Peter. Awesome, Harper thought. Her mom would tell her siblings and Harper would never hear the end of it, especially from her sister.
As the song came to an end, Harper and Peter skated back to where they started. “Thanks for skating with me,” Peter said shyly.
“It was fun.” Harper smiled at him.
She turned to exit the rink. At the same time, Peter skated closer to her and quickly kissed her on the cheek. He sped off before she could say anything as a Huey Lewis & the News song began to play. Harper stood there for a minute, a little shocked by what had just happened.
Her first kiss. It probably didn’t count since it was only on the cheek  but still it had happened. Had her friends seen it? Had her mom? What did she do next? Before she could do anything, Sophie started skating towards her.
“And you didn’t want to couple skate!” Sophie had definitely seen the kiss. She grabbed Harper’s hand and skated them over to the cake. “Peter likes you,” she whispered.
“That’s cool.” Harper wanted to appear cool with this despite the fact that she was freaking out on the inside.
Before the conversation could continue, Sophie’s mom called the girls and everyone else over for cake. Harper stood next to her best friend as the group sang “Happy Birthday.” In the seconds before Sophie blew out her candles, Harper savored the glow of the candles and snuck a look at Peter. He smiled at her. She smiled back and quickly looked away. Skating parties were pretty fun after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment