Monday, July 23, 2018

Song of the Summer

One of the best things I did for myself during the 2016 election, other than work for a candidate who didn't sell us out to Russia, was to start following a bot account on Twitter called "africa by toto bot." It's exactly what it sounds like: the bot tweets one lyric at a time from the 1982 song "Africa" by the band Toto. I don't know if it's the context of seeing a tweet from this account come up in between tweets from the many politicians, journalists, and activists I follow, or if it's the fact that I love this song, but every tweet makes my day a little brighter and funnier. Sometimes, bot accounts are pure and lovely and not responsible for subverting democracy.

"Africa" was the first and only number one hit for the band Toto. It's a fairly straightforward pop love song, with lots of 80s-tastic synthesizers and a drum beat that I'm sure the band or some producer thought was very "African" sounding, but isn't really. The original video, which you can watch here, includes a very thin plot, which I believe takes place in a library in an unnamed African country (probably Tanzania, given the two geographical references in the song), also includes a lot of closed eye singing, some masks, one of the drummers wearing a blouse, and a search for a book. It ends with a fire and the lead singer sitting on top of a stack of books in a very Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park (the first one) pose, but in a completely unappealing way.

From what I've read about the song, which is a surprising amount, David Paich wrote the song about the continent of Africa. He watched a lot of documentaries about Africa in the period leading up to writing the song, but had never visited and had gone to Catholic school as a child, remembering missionaries going to Africa. So the song is about love of a place and of memory. I can totally get behind this idea. The song was on the album Toto IV. That album and the song "Rosanna" from the album both won Grammys in 1983.

I have loved this song since I first heard it when I was a child. It falls into that category of songs that were on the radio a lot that I will never stop loving. Other songs included in this category are "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)", "More Than a Feeling", and "Low Rider." It's poppy and peppy. There's a marimba! One of my absolute favorite things about this song is the use of "Kilimanjaro" and "Serengeti" in the lyrics. Both words have a lot of syllables and limited rhyming words. I've always been impressed by the band's ability to make the words work in the song. The inclusion of both is the only geographic clue we get in the song; Mt. Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania and the Serengeti National Park is primarily in Tanzania (some of it is in Kenya). As a kid, it was a fun fact to look up. As an adult, it's a funny thing in a random pop song from 1982.

What's fascinating to me is that a little cover of this song by a 90s alt band has become a song of the summer. Not an official song of the summer, but one in my mind. If you haven't listened to Weezer's cover of "Africa," take a few minutes and watch their performance on Jimmy Kimmel's summer concert series. One of the members of Toto even makes an appearance.

The whole thing started with a 14 year old girl named Mary. She started a Twitter account directed at the band and used it to try to convince them to do a cover of the song. Weezer does a far amount of covers, so it's not unusual for them to add a new song or two into the mix. They teased fans with a cover of "Rosanna" first, eventually releasing "Africa" in May. Of course, the Internet was designed for this event. The song is playing in heavy rotation on the radio. NPR wrote a story about the song and people's uncomfortable relationship with Weezer and with the song. My favorite line in this story, "Weezer, the Los Angeles-based quartet that emerged in the 1990s with bemusingly catchy hits like "Buddy Holly," is one of a handful of pop-punk bands that, like Wooderson in the movie Dazed and Confused, keep getting older while a good chunk of their fan base stays the same age — 14."

I was 13 or 14 when I heard my firs Weezer song. It was "Buddy Holly" and I remember the seeing the video for the first time on MTV. I was obsessed with the chorus:

Woo-ee-ooh, I look just like Buddy Holly
Oh-oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore
I don't care what they say about us anyway
I don't care 'bout that
 


Yes, I am so very Mary Tyler Moore. Thank you, Rivers Cuomo for getting it. The Blue Album, which included "Buddy Holly," will always be my favorite Weezer album. "In the garage" and "Say it ain't so," also on that album, are two of my favorite Weezer songs. I lived in Hawaii when "Island in the Sun" was released and loved driving around Oahu with my windows down, blasting the song. I like to listen to "Everybody Get Dangerous" in the middle of a workout. I'm not a huge fan of their newest album, but that's okay. Rivers Cuomo isn't always my favorite person, but again, that's okay. 

 I've never seen Weezer live, but that has now been remedied. Weezer is on tour this summer and I went to the show last night. They happen to be touring with the Pixies, one of my favorite bands of all time. It's been almost ten years since I last saw the Pixies, so I was excited about this concert. Unlike my experience at the Indigo Girls concert, I entered this concert experience with expectations:
  • Enjoy Paz Lenchantin as the bassist for the Pixies. Yes, I grew up on the band with Kim Deal, but Paz is an amazing bassist.
  • Songs I need the Pixies to play: "Gigantic", "Hey", "Wave of Mutilation" (hopefully the slower version), "Indy Cindy", "Here Comes Your Man", "Planet of Sound", "Letter to Memphis", and "Velouria." 
  • Songs I need Weezer to play: "Buddy Holly", "In the garage", "Island in the Sun", "Say it ain't so", "Hash Pipe", "Everybody Get Dangerous," and "Holiday." (I'm a Blue Album fan if that wasn't obvious.)
  • "Africa" must be played. 
I was not disappointed. Although the Pixies didn't play all the songs I wanted to hear, most surprisingly no "Here Comes Your Man," they played a great set that included a good mix of newer songs and classics. Paz is a great addition to the band; I'll always be a Kim Deal fan, but she made her choice and the band continues on. 

Weezer puts on a great show. Yes, their fans stay the same age, on many different levels, but who cares? It's a great rock show. They didn't play all the songs I wanted to hear, but they played songs I didn't know I needed, like an acoustic version of a-ha's "Take on Me" and a mash-up of the Turtles' "Happy Together" and Green Day's "Longview". Who knew that would work? The best moment of the night was Rivers Cuomo in a boat in the middle of the audience doing a great acoustic version of "Island in the Sun" and looking super ridiculous in a captain's hat. This the kind of show that reminds me that rock and roll doesn't always have to be so serious or take itself so seriously. Sometimes, it's a dude in a hat in a boat singing an a-ha song and sometimes it's a band singing an almost note for note version of a classic 80s pop song because a fan asked them to do so.

And yes, they played "Africa." It was as glorious live as I thought it would be. I'm trying not to take photos of concerts anymore and my video didn't come out great so enjoy this guy's video from last night. The sing-a-long moment is on my list of favorite concert moments. Tell me Brian Bell doesn't look like one of the members of Toto during this song. It's the tucked in shirt.

Just in case Weezer's cover isn't your thing, enjoy this version of "Africa" created in Mario Paint (apparently Mario Paint videos were a thing in 2010.).


No comments:

Post a Comment