Saturday, March 24, 2018

DC Days: La Vie D'Un Chat

When I graduated from high school, my parents bought us tickets to see RENT on Broadway. This was 1997 so most of the original cast was still with the show and I was over the moon (see what I did there?) to see the show after listening to the soundtrack obsessively for months. It was also the first time I went to New York. We saw all the sites and a bonus show, Miss Saigon. If you're not familiar with RENT, shame on you. Get yourself together and listen to the original cast recording, catch a production somewhere out in the world, or if you must, watch the film version. It's not terrible; most of the original cast is in the film too, but it's not the same as the seeing it on stage. There's a song at the end of Act One called "La Vie Boheme." RENT is a modern retelling of the opera La Boheme, set in the East Village in the late 1980s. The characters embody New York bohemia as only a musical can depict. The song comes at the end of a fast paced first act; the group is gathered at the Life Cafe and sing about love, art, sex, life, and freedom. If you aren't dancing along by the end of this song, we probably shouldn't be friends. You can watch the scene from the film version here.

I can't help but think of "La Vie Boheme" and the Life Cafe as I visit my first cat cafe. For some reason, every time I picture what this experience is going to be like, the image of the cast of RENT singing "La Vie Boheme" pops into my head except the entire cast has been replaced by bohemian cats. The song is now about the awesomeness of these cats living their best cat lives at the cat cafe. In this vision, the human staff clean up at the end of the day and leave the cats to their evening of doing cat things. The second the last human leaves, the Collins or Angel of the group snaps on the footlights (because this is a musical so there would be footlights) and the cat cafe version of "La Vie Boheme" begins. Eventually, the cats get distracted because they're cats and by the time the humans return the next day, the show has ended and the cats are ready to hang out with human visitors all day and nap. This is really why cats sleep 18 hours a day; they're performing musicals at night.


I am aware this is not how cat cafes work, but it is how my brain works so you have to just go with it. As I've begun the process of thinking about adopting a new cat, the cat cafe is a step towards finding a new cat buddy. Cat cafes are new to the US, having started in Taiwan in the late 1990s, but really taking off in the early 2000s in Japan. The cats are all rescues and can be adopted (Homeward Trails is the adoption partner for the cafe I went to). The cafe I visited, Crumbs & Whiskers, has saved over 1200 cats from euthanasia between its two locations and almost 600 cats have been adopted (between the L.A. and Georgetown locations). For a small fee (which goes to taking care of the cats), I get 70 minutes of cat cuddling time. There's coffee and snacks and cats. What could be better?


Crumbs & Whiskers is the only place I've ever been that is 100% designed to be photographed for Instagram. There are comfy couches, so many throw pillows, and adorable papasan chairs ready for a cat or two to take a nap. There are also window perches, baskets beds, and so many toys. The staff is super friendly and refer to the cafe as a giant foster home for cats. That's exactly what it is. For cats that have been rescued, the socialization process can be long and painful. In some shelters, it's why a cat isn't adopted. Fostering, whether it's individuals or places like Crumbs & Whiskers, gives every cat a better chance of finding a forever home. Sure a cat cafe is a little bougie, but sometimes that's okay.

Honestly, I wasn't sure how I would react to going to a place like this. I haven't had a cat friend since August and I haven't actually been around a cat since Pumpkin died. I don't have many friends who have cats, at least not in the DC area, so I haven't been around a cat in almost eight months. Would I be overwhelmed by the number of furry friends lazying about the cafe? Would I be sad and spend the time in a funk? Would it be the greatest day of all time? I was a little nervous that none of the cats would like me and I was unnecessarily concerned about what to wear. Anita and I joked that I had my nails done earlier this week so I'd be Instagram ready. This is only partially a joke.

It was a little sad at first. There were several orange cats (all male as females are rare; Pumpkin was a true gem) and it was hard to see them napping and hanging around. After I got over my initial shock, it was easy to hang out and enjoy the experience. The staff at Crumbs & Whiskers are awesome; they're friendly and enthusiastic about what they do. Visitors aren't allowed to pick up the cats, but they can and they would bring cats over and share little stories about each animal. I'm sure it's an awesome job and probably one that's incredibly satisfying. I talked with one of the staff about the possibility of adopting a cat; she shared the process with me and encouraged me to come back and visit if today wasn't the day. Anyway, the staff is a big part of the experience. They help make the place safe for the cats and enjoyable for visitors. After talking with two staff members and seeing them interact with the cats, I felt more comfortable and settled in to enjoy my visit.

The cafe has two floors, both designed for optimal cat enjoyment. We spent most of the time downstairs, hanging out with a cat named Captain Otis (definitely not the right name for him), a newer cat who is getting used to being at the cafe. He is amazing, has a super smooshy face, is incredibly affectionate, and handsome. People who think cats aren't affectionate have never met the right cat; Otis is that cat. We also met a lovely lady named Anne Wheeler, a beautiful dilute tortoiseshell cat. She's the mom of the cats and you can see how much she wants to take care of everyone.



Obviously, we weren't the only humans at the cafe. Among the other visitors were a couple, another pair of friends, and a group of college age students. We were sort of surprised that many of the guys in the group were just sitting on their phones, not interacting with the cats. If you don't pet a cat at at cat cafe, did you even go? I don't know the answer, but my gut tells me it's no. One young woman inquired about adopting a cat while we were there; I hope she gets him. A few other cats went home with their new families while we were there; it was a nice bonus.

Even though I didn't adopt a cat today, I found the experience of being around the cats soothing and relaxing. Being at Crumbs & Whiskers reminds me of the things I love most about cats: they're playful and shy all in the space of a few minutes. They're affectionate, but also might not want you to pet them. They find that sun patch and hang on to it for as long as possible. They sleep the day away and don't care if you sit by them while they do it. They're not perfect and they don't care. Sometimes they're cats, sometimes they're centerpieces (see the photo below). They're the best and they don't let anyone forget it. My new cat friend will find me when the time is right.

Anita and I are already planning our next visit to Crumbs & Whiskers and a visit up to Baltimore's Charm Kitty Cafe. I'd like to take a random weekday off and schedule time to work on my novel or some other writing. I'd probably get very little done, but it would be a great experience. Also, the coffee and macarons from Oliva Macaron were amazing. Check them out even if you don't go to Crumbs & Whiskers (their store is just off M Street). Nothing goes better with coffee and macarons than hanging out with cats. Trust me on this.

Now because I know you, I know you really want photos. Enjoy the pictures taken by me or Anita. And go visit Crumbs & Whiskers!















No comments:

Post a Comment