Sunday, January 21, 2018

Good Trouble

In November, I wrote the following on Facebook after Ralph Northam was elected governor of Virginia:

The first time I ever worked for a political campaign was in 1996 when Mark Warner ran for Senate for the first time. He lost, but would go on to serve as governor of VA from 2002-06 and is now my senator - I love him. I was 17 years old and couldn't even vote yet, but I didn't care. I guess first political campaigns are a lot like first loves; they last forever. I have worked on many campaigns over the years, including Ralph Northam's campaign (although not as much as I would have liked). I have been called horrible things by seemingly sweet old ladies in SW Virginia (rhymes with punt). I was asked if I wanted to send the world to hell because I was supporting Obama. My patriotism was questioned because I was part of the Women's March in January. But that's why I do it; it does not get old and it is never dull and it's not easy. Working on campaigns, voting, watching the election returns - this is exactly why I love this country and why I volunteer and protest and get out the vote. It's exhilarating and infuriating. And it matters. It matters so much. I know sometimes it feels like it doesn't but it really does, I promise. On to 2018!

I was thinking about this statement yesterday while attending the Women's March in DC. This year's theme, "Power to the Polls", is about exactly what I wrote back in November. It is not enough to attend a march or declare that the 45 is "not my President," action has to be translated to the polls. Yesterday's march was about action and what we do next. Right around the time the 45 was elected, I would get into conversations with friends who were shell-shocked by the election. They were walking around in a daze of anger, sadness, and apathy. I always asked the questions: What have you done? What are you willing to do next?

If the last year has demonstrated anything, it is that most Americans are unwilling to sit by and watch this country fall into the dumpster fire the 45 and his administration is trying to throw us into. Marches, protests, demonstrations, and sit-ins reminded us all that we can be a voice against hate, stupidity, and basic violations of human rights. The rise of #metoo and Time's Up have helped hundreds of people feel safe in talking about sexual harassment and abuse. I'm not going to pretend that all these efforts are perfect. We have a lot more work to do on listening, particularly to women of color, across these issues. Let's face, black women save our asses over and over again. Let's do a better job listening from the start rather than waiting for them to save the day. 

Yesterday's march was a re-energizer for me. It reminded me to commit to the issues and candidates I support even more than I did before. Since my first campaign at age 17, I have registered voters, I've canvassed, I've phone-banked, and I've worked at polling places. I've donated time and money to candidates and causes I care about. I want each and every person I know to figure out how they get involved. In the world we live in today, we need everyone to participate. We can't afford for people to stay at home. 

I know it's scary. Going to a protest or demonstration for the first time is overwhelming. If that's how you feel, maybe don't make that your first thing. Because I love a list, here are some suggestions on how to get started:
  • Be informed. Do your research on candidates, issues, and laws. Look for credible resources online before you post on social media. Ask questions when you don't know about something.
  • Volunteer. Volunteering is one of the best ways to become part of your community. Find organizations that support the issues you're passionate about. Volunteer your time for candidates that need help. You don't have call people or canvas if that's not your thing. Voter registration is another great way to volunteer your time. Check out your local political party for opportunities to help with voter registration. 
  • Have a difficult conversation. The time for jokes about your racist uncle or your sexist co-worker is over. As someone who has reported sexual harassment in the workplace and told a former friend their Trump apologist language was no longer acceptable, I know this is hard to do. But you will feel better when you stand up for yourself and for others.
  • Protest. Get yourself out there! Again, I know it can be intimidating to go to a protest the first time. Find some friends and go as a group. Make signs. Take snacks. Being around people who are energized and passionate about the issue(s) you are, will help you take more action. Protesting is patriotic; don't let anyone tell you differently. In the words of Rep. John Lewis, get in "good trouble, necessary trouble."
  • Run for office. I have no interest in doing this, but I applaud every person who does. I'm especially impressed by the women in Virginia this past year who ran and won when no one thought they would be able to accomplish anything. Start on the smaller side with the PTO or city committees. Run for school board. Run for city council. If this isn't your thing, support local candidates. They don't always get the support they need.
  • VOTE. Voting matters. If anyone tells you differently, they are trying to keep you from exercising your rights. They are trying to take your voice away. So vote. Vote in local, state, and national elections. Vote on ballot initiatives. VOTE! 

The reality is that we have a long way to go with this administration. The 2018 elections are the next step in moving this country forward. Get involved and get out the vote!

On a side note, I was interviewed by AFP during the march yesterday and my photo was taken a lot during the rally (Anita and I were right up front and had signs). If you see my picture anywhere, let me know.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment