Sunday, April 9, 2017

DC Days: Dots, Pumpkins, and Obliteration

I had the opportunity to see the Yayoi Kusama exhibition Infinity Mirrors at the Hirshhorn this weekend. If you're able to get tickets at any point during the remainder of the run here in DC, do it. Take off work, shirk adult responsibilities, and go see this exhibit. The exhibition is traveling to five additional cities after the Hirshhorn run.

My favorite room was "Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity" - it was one of the most beautiful experiences I've ever had in a museum and it only lasted 20 seconds. Kusama's obsession with dots is one I can get behind. 

All photos shared below were taken by me or my friend Emily, who joined me for the exhibition. This exhibit is best experienced visually so I'll stop with my commentary and share the photos. 




Phalli's Field (1965/2016)


Love Forever (1966/1994)



 The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away (2013)


Love Transformed into Dots (2007/installed, 2017)


 Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity (2009)





All the Eternal Love I Have for the Pumpkins (2016)


The best photo I took all day - it's of the ceiling.
 
The Obliteration Room (2002) - Visitors get to participate in this room by placing dots all over the room.




No comments:

Post a Comment