Saturday, September 6, 2014

It's National Writing Date Day!

Today is National Writing Date Day. Never heard of National Writing Date Day? Join the club. I was not aware that it existed until my friend Jessica shared a blog post about it with me. Jessica curates a monthly random holiday calendar for a group of our friends and she discovered this holiday in her research for September. We have decided to give it a try.

Both Jessica and I participated in National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) last year and plan to participate again this year. We've been discussing our writing and writing aspirations via email over the last few weeks and decided that we need to be more proactive in our writing and try new things. This is what prompted us to set a #writingdate for today. Of course Jessica and I don't live in the same state but that's what technology is for.

Our writing date will serve two purposes: us trying some new ideas out through some writing prompts Jessica found on Buzzfeed and some time devoted to plotting and planning for NaNoWriMo. Both of us have two ideas for novels and are having a hard time choosing so we thought it might help to try to talk them out a bit and try some character sketches. No actual writing of the novel can take place (as it all must be written in November) but prepping and outlining is acceptable.

Our schedule:
  • Hour 1: Writing Date Day commences with prompt #12 (one hour)
  • Hour 2: Start second prompt (we're each doing a different one)
  • Whatever time left that we feel we want to spend: NaNoWriMo discussions, prep, etc.
  • After that: enjoy a beer #hemingwaywasadrunk
Later today I'll be sharing whatever I come up with during the first two hours. I can't guarantee that they'll be particularly good but that's not really the point. The point is to set time aside to write and create and see what happens. I like to think of today as part of my NaNoWriMo training regiment. November isn't that far off and as any NaNoWriMo participant can tell you, it is both a sprint and a marathon. I see lots of Writing Date Days in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment