Monday, February 18, 2019

Stuff I Love: Glitter Obliteration

I have fond childhood memories of covering my hands in Elmer's Glue and then peeling off the glue once it dried. It was an incredibly satisfying way to pass the time. There's probably a very specific reason this was so satisfying (something to do with the primitive brain, I would guess), but I'm a fairly lazy blogger, so today we'll chalk it up to this: kids like gross stuff. Peeling glue off your hands is part satisfying and part gross.

I thought this memory would transfer to my current state of using multiple types of glue to create my purses for Nyx 2019. I used, at my purse making peak, up to three different types of glue at one time. Glue is messy, so I've spent many days with glue all over my hands. I've been playing a fun game called "Is that dried glue or a cut?" The results are about 50/50 (sequins are sharp). This isn't a review of glue, but I'll say that I'm a fan of E6000, despite its smell, and matte Mod Podge. Mod Podge is the closest to Elmer's one can get. It's what helps make the purses all glittery.


I'm officially done with my purses. I set a goal of making 10 purses this year (we can make up to 20) and I finished my 10th purse on Friday. The only thing left to do is make my purse tags and bag each purse for transport. Oh, and fly to New Orleans, but that won't happen for another week. 

There is not glitter purse class one joins when becoming a Nyx sister. There are some videos online by fellow krewe members and many, many purses for inspiration on the Nyx Purse Tracker. But no class, so most of my experience this year was trial and error. It's also been incredibly fun and creative. It's been one of the more rewarding creative/artistic projects I've done in awhile. Since there aren't a lot of rules and the more glitter the better, it's been challenging in the best way possible. I love all the purses I've created and am already thinking ahead to next year. Before we get there, let's discuss what I've learned about creating a glitter purse.
  • Glitter is not created equal. Super fine is best for covering a purse (thin layer of Mod Podge, pour or dip, allow to dry, brush, and repeat if needed). Larger glitter is better for design items and lettering. It took some time to figure out what worked best for each purse, but I'm now the proud owner of 20 different glitter colors. I'm 100% okay with this and will enjoy using all of these colors in the future.
  • If you ever need to know how to remove metal/jewelry glue from your hands, let me know. I have a tried and true method that involves an emery board, sea salt scrub, sitting on your bathroom floor cursing metal glue, and a cat staring at you, judging your choices. The cat is the most important part of this formula. 
  • PUFFY PAINT! I did not realize my life was missing the magic of puffy paint transfers until this year. I mostly used puffy paint for lettering, but it was a revelation. The way glitter sits on puffy paint and makes it look even more shiny and beautiful, is pure magic. Next year, I want to use puffy paint for shapes and figures. I feel like this will elevate my purses even more. 
  • Naming my purses helped me focus on them and treat each one like a special event. Some of the names include "I Call Everybody Darlin'", Nyx Delivers the Stars," "You're the Cat's Meow," and "Glitter Obliteration" (my 11th purse, a bonus purse, inspired by Yayoi Kusuma's Obliteration Room.) 
  • The smell of E6000 glue will haunt my dreams, but man does it hold sequins and rhinestones and palm fronds and unicorns like a champ. E6000 forever.
  • I know understand why artist Mickalene Thomas uses chopsticks to place rhinestones on her paintings. Rhinestones have a mind of their own, so tweezers were very important. 
  • When you need something to hold tiles or rhinestones in place while the E6000 cures (that's a thing with epoxy-adjacent glues like E6000 and Gorilla Glue), a Mr. Bingle coaster is the best item to use. It's New Orleans-y and whimsical, which is basically my new way of living life. 
If you're going to be in New Orleans on February 27, come out and see the Mystic Krewe of Nyx roll along the St. Charles Avenue route. I'll be on Float 11, on the upper level of the tandem, driver's side, position #1. Make me a pretty sign and maybe you'll get one of my fantastic purses.

Enjoy some photos of my purses in various stages of progress. I'm taking next weekend off from the Island to get ready for my trip. I'll have all the details (that I can share) in upcoming posts. Check out Instagram during the parade for photos and videos when I can post! 








No comments:

Post a Comment